meee

meee

Friday 25 May 2012

PARMA, TORINO, MILANO E IL LAGO DI COMO! (LECCO, BELLAGIO E VARENNA)


Stefanie's birthday celebrations!
 
I can finally say that ..... SUMMER HAS ARRIVED IN PAVIA!!! The weather for the last few days has been gorgeous and I cant believe how much the temperature has risen! It really was wonderful yesterday with the bright blue sky, 30 degrees and not a cloud in sight. Fingers crossed this weather stays with us from now on!  Gemma is staying with me at the moment, so we've been making a few trips together around northern Italy to let her get a feel for the country, and now I have even more trips to blog about! I'll try and keep this entry as ordered as possible as it is covering four trips!- firstly an afternoon in Parma, followed by Turin, Milan, and lastly Lago di Como (Lecco, Bellagio & Varenna). Around 11ish yesterday we went into town to have a wander around and absorb the sunshine, and then we met up with Malene and Stefanie for a spot of lunch in Pane e Salame which is one of the bars in the centre. We picked a table outside in the sunshine, and ordered cold drinks, paninis and toasts, as well as their amazing home-made potato chip wedges and just relaxed in the sunshine munching away! After we were all happily stuffed, I then wanted to take Gemma down to the river to try a wonderful yummy Italian gelato ice cream in Panna e cioccolato our favourite ice cream bar by the river! I had my usual coconut, chocolate and mango and Gemma went for strawberry, mango and cherry! They were delicious, but melted so quickly because of the temperatures! I then went along to my language class at 6, followed by Stefanies birthday celebrations in the evening at Loft 10 in the centre. Many people came and we all enjoyed cocktails and a buffet style dinner for only 7 each! 

Lunch at 'Pane e Salame' with the girls
Our AMAZING ice creams!

We woke up this morning pretty late and we still hadn't decided what to do for the day! We checked out some possible trips such as Bergamo, Genova, Lago Maggiore, Lago di Garda and Verona but eventually decided that a short afternoon in the city of Parma (Emilia Romagna) might be nice. We found a train time at around 11.40 ish to Parma, however we were really confused as the platform said '1Tronc' and we had no idea where that was, and sussed out after the train departed that the troncal platform was one where the track started at Pavia and didn't pass through the station. We then had to wait an hour for the next train, so decided to chill out on the piazza in the sunshine with a drink and an aperitivo at Ritual before heading back to the station for our correct train. 

Me enjoying aperitivo in the sunshine at Ritual!
We then had the problem that our train was an intercity instead of a regionale which means that it was posher and faster and therefore costing more money! We still got on, but the train was packed and there were people standing in the carriages so we were forced to stand with loads of other people in the bit where the train carriages join next to the disgusting toilet! We honestly felt like we were in 10th class carriage or something, and that the only thing which was missing were cattle! Luckily no ticket inspectors came around so no fines for us! Once in Parma we headed for the centre and enjoyed wandering around the main streets for an hour or so. We found the Duomo, the Palazzo della Pilotta (An old palace which was bombed in the second world war) and then we decided to stop for a drink on the main piazza named Piazza Garibaldi overlooking the rather attractive-looking mustard-coloured Palazzo del Governatore.

Palazzo del Governatore
A close-up of the clock tower and the statue
Chiesa 'San Giovani Evangelista'
Chiesa 'Madonna della Steccata'
 
We found a cute little cafe and had no hesitation in ordering two cokes. We sat in the sunshine and watched the world go by for a bit, and then I had one hell of a shock when I went to pay inside when the lady said 10! I said 'CHE?' (What?) 'SCUSI, COSA HA DETTO..... DIECI EURO?' (Sorry, what did you say...... 10 euros?) and she said yes!!!! I nearly choked as that is 5 for a can of coke! I said that it was 'TROPPO CARO' (Too expensive) and she said it was because we were sat on a table outside! I paid but was choking as I handed over the money and I honestly felt that we had been robbed! We were both disgusted and just couldn't believe it! We then wandered around for a bit more to calm our annoyance. Next stop was a visit to the Parco Ducale and its gardens before we jumped on a train back to Pavia. It was a nice afternoon, but I think I had expected a little more from Parma, and won't be recommending it to anyone.

'Palazzo della Pilotta'
The gardens of the 'Palazzo della Pilotta'
One of the main streets in Parma
Gemma by Parma cheese 'Parmagiano'

 After only being back in Pavia for 2 days after Spain, I was lucky enough last Friday to be able to pop over for the day to the Piemonte region just north west of Pavia to the capital city of Turin. I went to see Sarah and Joe who are based there for their Erasmus period and I had a lovely day with them showing me around the city. I took an early train from Pavia around 8.30 and got into Turin at 11am ish where Sarah came to meet me from the station. First impressions of the city were that it was gigantic and just seemed so big in comparison with little medieval Pavia! All of the buildings seemed so grand and in stone which reminded me of the fascist architecture designed by Mussolini which we learnt about last year at Leicester. We wandered into the centre to the Piazza Castello and tried to find the gardens without success, followed by a lovely catch up over some drinks on another piazza. Luckily the sunshine started to come through so I of course got out the camera to get snapping! We then went to one of the highest points in the city which was a tower which you could pay to go up called the 'Mole Antonelliana'. We went up in the glass lift which whisks you up 85m in 59 seconds to the Mole's roof terrace where there were incredible panoramic views all around the city.

The Mole Antonelliana
The panoramic view of Turin from the top of the Mole
The view when we were having a drink
Sarah and Me
Bridge over the river Po
 
Sarah said she had been up before and I felt bad making her go up again, but it really was worth it as you could see the whole city for miles around and luckily even though it was a bit overcast, I took a few lovely photos when the blue skies appeared! You could even see the mountain range to the west bordering with France, but they were a little blurry, I think that on a clear day the view would be incredible in that direction! I still spent a while admiring the view and all of the terracotta roofs of Italian cities- it always looks so beautiful I think.  We were pretty famished afterwards so popped into a small cafe nearby where we each had a piadina with some chips on the side! Mine was mozzarella, tomato and oregano which was tasty!  After filling up we met up with Joe and went for a walk along the river which was really relaxing. When we were tired, we then got an ice-cream and chilled on a bench in the park just chatting away and it was great to catch up with them and share our Year Abroad stories! It was a lovely day trip though and good to catch up with them both and see the city as its one I've been meaning to see for a long time.

Thursday I met up with Laura for lunch and we had a lovely time with her friends for a hour, and then I just remember chilling out in the Uni courtyards before my Language class at 6, so I just wanted to include these two pics as that day was wonderful! 

Laura and Me!
Me at Uni
On Saturday I had a long lie in, and then when I woke up at 11.30, I realised that I had agreed to meet Barbara and Mattia on the piazza for a coffee! I got ready faster than ever before and sped over there to be only 10 minutes late or so! Im quite impressed with myself- and in all honesty, I was on time if I class myself as Italian........ any when up to 30 minutes late they class as on time haha. We all went to a bar called Ritual on the Piazza where we sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine with our drinks and aperitivo! (A few snacks of pizza bites, olives, crisps and crackers with a salsa dip) They also made me try a typical Italian drink to have with aperitivo which is called a Crodino. It didnt look very appetising as it was bright orange, but the others insisted I tried it as it is typically Italian. It is made from extract drawn from a mix of infusion and distilled herbs, plants and fruit pieces, and in all honesty.... It was vile! Very sour and I cant see why on earth anyone would enjoy drinking it! Still, Im pleased I tried it! The rest of Saturday I just cleaned the apartment, did my washing and started one of my pieces of translation work which I have do for my Spanish Civilisation class.

Cappuccinos.... Aperitivo and errrr a Crodino!
 
Gemma arrived on Sunday morning and I went to collect her from Milans central station! The weather unfortunately wasnt that good for Sunday, so instead of taking Gemma for a walk around Pavia and down by the river, we just chilled out in the flat and then in the evening we went to meet Lizi, Malene and Stefanie for drinks and aperitivo at Loft, followed by some cocktails at Manà. The drinks were very strong and I ended up getting a little tipsy! Monday the weather wasnt that great either, so I went to my classes and then in the afternoon we went for a drink in the centre and some cake, and then in the evening I went to my Italian class at 6 as usual, followed by some food shopping at 8 and then we just had a relaxed evening in the flat and watched a film.

Cocktails at Manà
Steffie, Malene, Gemma, Me and Lizi
Lizi and Me
Stefanie and Malene
Tuesday was a pretty good day as the weather improved significantly and I thought that I would take Gemma over to see central Milan. In the morning I woke up early and went to my film translation class, and then rushed back at 11 to collect Gemma and whizz over to the train station as I needed to be back in Pavia for 6pm for my Italian Language course, so we would only have the afternoon in the centre. We found out that we had missed a train and that there wasnt another one for an hour, so we grabbed some slices of pizza in the centre and munched them on the piazza before heading back to the station. Once in Milan, the weather came out beautiful- much better than forecasted and we had 26 degrees and not a cloud in sight! It really was a lovely afternoon to be wandering around Milan. We went inside the Duomo and marvelled at the architecture, roamed around inside La Rinascente and gawped at all of the designer bags, followed by a trip up to the Castello Sforzeco where we took photos by the fountain. 

Gemma and Me by the Duomo
Gemma in the 'Galleria Vittorio Emanuele 11
Us by the Castello
Gemma on Piazza del Duomo
The man carving things out of vegetables!
Me with my beetroot flower!
Parco Sempione
The lake in the Parco Sempione
One thing I have to mention here in this blog was the man who was on the street carving things out of vegetables like carrots and beetroot. I was so amazed and watched him spellbound as he carved life-like birds, fish and roses out of these vegetables. I fell in love with a beetroot rose and just had to buy it! I asked him how much it was, and when 1 euro was the answer, I gave him 2 euros as I thought that one euro was far too little for the amount of work that had gone into it. The rose was so pretty, and lifelike which I found incredible! I was just about running out of options of what else to show Gemma, as Milan is a very much lived in city. There isnt really a lot to visit as a tourist unless you like museums or have buckets full of cash to squander on designer clothes, bags and makeup!  Just as I was giving up and about to suggest we wander back to the Duomo, I noticed a tall archway through the arches of the castle and wondered what it was! We walked towards it through the Castle grounds and came out in a gigantic park which we later found out was called Parco Sempione. I had never noticed it before, so it was great for me to be able to see something new and have a wander around! It was so peaceful, and I especially loved the rose gardens and the lake. The arch; we found out was called Arco della Pace (Arch of Peace) and I have just found out using my guide book that it is a triumphal arch built in the early 19th century to celebrate Napoleans victories. 

My beetroot rose!
The Castello
'Arco della Pace
 
By far the highlight of the week was however a trip on Wednesday to Lake Como. I went a few weeks ago to the capital town of 'Como' with Lizi, and I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to take Gemma on a visit. After reading the guide book, I decided that the next most important town to visit was 'Lecco' which is a small town at the southern point on the right-hand fork of the lake. We took a train around 8am from Pavia, and after no less than three changes and nearly missing a connection by minutes, we arrived in Lecco. The weather was overcast which I was disappointed about, however my first impressions of the town were great. I noticed that blue sky was slowly replacing the grey clouds, and as we waited for the skies to clear we had a morning drink and a sit-down for half an hour or so on the piazza. I was right, as soon enough the weather changed and we were blessed with bright blue skies and 30 degree sunshine!

Gemma in Lecco's town center
A view across to Lecco's waterfront
Me on the waterfront
 The town of Lecco was pretty, but very small so as previously decided on Tuesday evening, we also chose to visit a town named Bellagio which has been claimed to be one of the most beautiful towns in Italy. The town is located in the centre of the lake at the joining point of the 2 forks (By forks I mean the left and right shores- Lake Como is shaped like an upside-down letter Y). We had planned to go by boat, however we were disappointed to find out that the boats weren't running as apparently they only run on Sundays. We then chose the next best option which was a 50 minute bus ride to Bellagio. I really enjoyed the journey as the road hugged the lake and there were gorgeous views for the whole journey, and then as we approached Bellagio you could see all of the terracotta roofs of the buildings (Typically Italian) which were very pretty. Once we arrived we were instantly amazed at how beautiful the place was, and I for one couldn't stop gazing at my new surroundings! The waterfront was beautiful, so scenic and lined with flowers and palm trees and with views across the lake to the snow-tipped mountains.  We decided to just wander around, and not use a map as the place seemed very small but incredibly beautiful. I saw on Tuesday evening when I was looking online for photos of Bellagio that there was one street which was incredibly Italian and quaint, and I had hoped to see it myself.  Within seconds of being in the small narrow streets, Gemma said that she thought we had come across 'My street' and she was right! I don't know really what I liked about it so much- I think perhaps the tiny cobblestones, the cute little boutiques, the old-style lanterns and all of the balconies overflowing with flowers! (And of course not neglecting to mention the amazing views of the lake getting better the higher up the street we climbed!).

A map of the lake
Bellagio's waterfront
A view across to the mountains over the lake through some beautiful yellow flowers
A view down 'My street' :)
Gemma and Me on the waterfront
 
Once at the top, we noticed a 'Gelateria' (Ice cream parlour) and decided that it was high time for an ice cream which we ate whilst exploring the narrow streets. We also came across a tiny church and fountain which was pretty. By this time, the sun was high in the sky and the temperature was easily 35 degrees which was far too much seeing as I was wearing jeans! After wandering a bit more around this gorgeous little town, we decided to see one more town on the lake as we still had the whole of the evening free. We found the ferry port, and decided to visit a neighboring town on the lake called Varenna. 

Our YUMMY ice creams!
Another gorgeous view down 'My street'
The cute little church in the village of Bellagio
Me relaxing by the lake
The boat we took across to Varenna
The boat was incredibly cheap at only 4 each, and soon we were on the water cruising across to Varenna. The views were amazing and I couldn't stop clicking my camera! As we were pulling into Varenna we had some wonderful views of the town from the water and it looked to us like the town on the children's TV program 'Balamory' because all of the houses were different colours and the town looked so pretty in the early evening as the light was perfect. Once we arrived, we checked out the train times to go back to Milan Central later on in the evening, and then we were free for a few hours to check out the town. We decided to follow the signs for the centre and this involved walking along a beautiful lake-side pathway! It was lovely, and 10 minutes later we arrived in the tiny little hilly centre of Varenna. It was unbelievably picture postcard perfect and oozed character- I couldn't stop snapping my camera! We had a walk around and found the church (San Giorgio) and clock tower, and then decided that the best way to absorb the atmosphere and view was to be sat down on the lake front at a restaurant. We had a glance at the prices and in all honestly they were very modest given the location! So we parked ourselves up and ordered some drinks and dinner. The view was unbelievable- check out the photos below! And before long we had a large stone-oven cooked chargrilled pepper pizza and a large salad to accompany it. I think it was possibly one of the nicest meals I've ever had, and the location could have been likened to heaven on earth.

A photo of Bellagio taken from the boat
Varenna - taken from the boat.
A lovely sign I came across! Welcome to Varenna!
The beautiful lake-side pathway across to central Varenna
Me soaking up the sun and the views!
A view of the lake from high up in Varenna
Varenna's small church (S.Giorgio)
The view from a spot in the center of Varenna
Possibly the nicest beer and coke in the world! (JUST LOOK AT THAT VIEW!)
I just love that iron decoration! - had to have a pic!
Our dinner!
One last gorgeous one of that view!
After our lovely meal, we decided that it was time to amble back to the train station, where we caught the train back to Milan Centrale. I can honestly say that it was probably my most favourite train journey ever as the track ran alongside the lake and the views were once again incredible. I think I spent pretty much the whole journey back with my head out of the window! The views at sunset were well worth standing up for though (even though my feet were aching by this point and all I wanted to do was sleep all of the way back!). All in all, a truly wonderful day out, and I hope to return as soon as possible to visit other towns on the lake which Im sure are all beautiful. 

The sunset over the lake on the way back to Milan
 
Ok thats all for now, Im incredibly tired so time to sleep I think! Tomorrow were just going to chill out in Pavia and see Barbara for lunch, and then maybe go to Voghera for a wander around in the afternoon as it is only 10 minutes south of Pavia by train. Sunday we have plans to go south to Genova and to one of the beaches along the Italian Riviera.. Tuesday perhaps Bergamo and then NEXT WEEK MY MUM COMES AND WERE OFF TO VENICE! Im very excited, (Im sure you can tell!) Then I guess it will be time to get stuck into my month of revision and essays for all of June! thats not such a great thought eh! Ciao da Pavia! x

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I'm seriously loving it! I'll be studying at Pavia next year, it's great to read about your experiences, definitely helping me feel a bit more prepared already :)
    All your pictures look gorgeous, looks like you're getting to travel a lot, have a good last month and good luck with revision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Emilia! Thanks for your comment! Was really nice to see that my blog is helping in your preparations! At first I thought that you must be a 2nd Year at Leicester as my teachers have passed on the link to all 2nd year language students, but then after having a quick peep at your blog I saw that you're at Bristol Uni! How did you come across my blog? :) are you going to spend the entire year in Pavia? Excited? Nervous? baci xx

    ReplyDelete